Have you filed your tax return?
Fresh Accountants ...
- Tax Year End Planning 2011/12 (Part 2)
- Tax Year End Planning 2011/12 (Part 1)
- Sole Trader or company?
- Pay Less Tax - Benefits of Incorporation
- Guidance on Christmas Parties, Meals and Gifts
- Reduce Your Tax Bill: Buy a 'Green' Car
- How To Reduce Your Tax Bill: Home Office
- Fraud: Top Ten Tips To Prevent & Detect
- Tax Investigations - Top Ten Tips
Advice on filing self assessment tax returns.
Deadline for sending a paper tax return to HMRC
The deadline for sending paper self assessment tax returns to HMRC for the last tax year (ending 5th April 2010) is 31st October 2010.
If you intend to file online you still have until 31st January 2011. However, if you are not registered with the HMRC online service you will need to do this first, so do not leave it until the last minute. Also, if you are not registered as self employed you will need to obtain a unique taxpayer reference number. This can take some time to be processed so do it now to avoid a late return and the subsequent fines and interest charges.
Ensure you do not pay too much tax
Of course, if you want to ensure you are claiming all available allowances and expenses in order to reduce your tax bill use a qualified accountant and tax expert. BUT - do it now and avoid the January rush. January is a very busy time for tax accountants so it is best to organise your affairs now otherwise you may find if difficult to find a reputable accountant who can do the work for you before the deadline. Or you may have to pay more for their services to guarantee your return is filed on time.