Local landline numbers WITHOUT BT lines

Back
  9th Jan 2008 - 12:06 9th Jan 2008
Judith Ludovino
TelePA Ltd

Local landline numbers WITHOUT BT lines

A tip for those who want to be "seen" in an area where they don't have a landline - Re Yellow Pages issue: "my phone number comes into the Faringdon (Swindon) area but most of my customers come from the Wantage ()..... but I don't show up in searches for Wantage. Grrrrr!"

You can rent a Wantage landline prefix that can be directed to your Faringdon line (or preferably to TelePA www.telepa.co.uk) . Visit www.gradwell.com - Business VoIP - call forwarding Only £3 a month!

However this won't automatically mean your number is listed by BT and other directory of enquiries services. For this you need to pay an extra £10 - go to the number porting menu on the Business VoIP part of Gradwell's website. Scroll down to the bottom of the page and there is a form to fill in.

Glad to be of assistance!

9th Jan 2008 - 14:52 9th Jan 2008
Alison Thompson
The Proof Fairy / AD...
Thanks for this. I actually have a VOIP line anyway, but for some daft reason took a local (to me) prefix rather than an 0845 number. I live within the catchment area for the Swindon phone books but 2 miles down the road is the border for the Oxford phone book. I really don't want to have to have 2 numbers but can't find any way of the free Yell listing having me down for both Wantage and Faringdon!!!
  9th Jan 2008 - 15:03 9th Jan 2008
Judith Ludovino
TelePA Ltd

If you buy a second "landline" number from Gradwell you can point it your real number. The second landline will be listed in the main directory enquiries, I'm not sure about Yell.

0845s aren't that great a strategy, they are expensive to ring from mobile phones and useless if people are trying to call you from abroad! At TelePA we are moving to traditional geographic numbers for these reasons.

Good luck

Judith

9th Jan 2008 - 17:10 9th Jan 2008
Tim Johnson
FinanceDr Ltd
So how come you've an 0845 Number Judith!?
  10th Jan 2008 - 06:54 10th Jan 2008
Judith Ludovino
TelePA Ltd
We're actually moving publicity towards 01749 685600, I've changed TelePA's profile today!
  10th Jan 2008 - 12:57 10th Jan 2008
Tim Johnson
FinanceDr Ltd
Great stuff! - Look forward to seeing you at Taunton in the morning
  10th Jan 2008 - 21:49 10th Jan 2008
G smith
The Sartorial Execut...
Why waste £3 a month when you can get one from sipgate.co.uk for free?
  11th Jan 2008 - 11:36 11th Jan 2008
Judith Ludovino
TelePA Ltd
There is no such thing as a free lunch.

When TelePA launched in 2004 we were enticed by "free forever" 0845 numbers. The provider sold up within a year and in order to keep use of the numbers (which were then printed on letterhead, business cards etc) we were faced with a bill of £100 per annum.

I'd rather deal with a supplier who makes a sensible profit for managing a service than a supplier who is building a resource for future sale !!!

Anybody else have an opinion or similar experience?
  11th Jan 2008 - 12:53 11th Jan 2008
Tim Matcham
Matcham Property Inv...

Quote:

We're actually moving publicity towards 01749 685600, I've changed TelePA's profile today!

Hooray I wish more people would follow your lead here. 0845 nos and any other 08 number are a nightmare from mobiles and also from the free weekend and evening call lines that come bundled with many broadband packages.

Weel done.

Cheers

Tim

11th Jan 2008 - 13:21 11th Jan 2008
Alison Thompson
The Proof Fairy / AD...
Mine is a Sipgate number and I've been very pleased with it so far .... though the menu for retrieving voicemails is a bit bizarre!
  11th Jan 2008 - 13:24 11th Jan 2008
Judith Ludovino
TelePA Ltd
Good luck with the sipgate .... however I refer you to my comment above .... there's no such thing as a free lunch !
  11th Jan 2008 - 13:42 11th Jan 2008
Alison Thompson
The Proof Fairy / AD...
Ah well, it's too late to change my number now. I might as well wait till they decide to charge me and then get a new one!!
  11th Jan 2008 - 18:27 11th Jan 2008
Andy Arnott
Apac Property Servic...
Judith,

Sorry to take you away from the subject, we have a 0870 number for both our landlines and also fax's.

I keep getting letters about the 0870 numbers being shut down or cancelled, or deemed as a standard rate call instead of some money coming back when ever anyone phones you...

Any idea's on this, as its something which i think will start to cause us a few problems.
  11th Jan 2008 - 19:48 11th Jan 2008
G smith
The Sartorial Execut...

Quote:

Good luck with the sipgate .... however I refer you to my comment above .... there's no such thing as a free lunch !

Sipgate make their money from Outgoing calls. They have been around a long time now, they just use a different business model to gradwell.

But hey ho

To reply to this topic please sign in or register.