Callback

How best to invest?

Page: « 1 2 3 4 »
Amanda Barnett
Grosvenor Consultancy Limited
Telephone:
01793 766123
Posted: 23rd Apr 2012 - 22:18 Quote
When I need my car serviced I take it to a qualified mechanic, I would suggest the same should apply to pension advice but then I would say tHat wouldn't I!
View Profile Send Message Leave Testimonial Find Posts TWEET ME @amanda_ifa

Chris Maslin
Maslins Accountants
Telephone:
01892 888 010

My Links:
Posted: 24th Apr 2012 - 09:13 Quote
Quote:
When I need my car serviced I take it to a qualified mechanic, I would suggest the same should apply to pension advice but then I would say tHat wouldn't I!

My spin on your analogy would be:
If your mechanic tinkered with your car and charged you a fixed % of the value of the car, regardless of whether they fixed it or made it worse, you might start to look for alternatives.

Maslins LtdMVL Online Ltd

View Profile Send Message Leave Testimonial Find Posts TWEET ME @Chris_Maslin

Gary Smith
Scotz.Net
Telephone:
0845-370-0016

My Links:
Posted: 24th Apr 2012 - 09:21 Quote

I'm not sure that I can think of a rational argument to counter that Chris. Succinct and effective point.

Gary

Gary Smith : Scotz.Net : P.O. Box 7560 : Perth : Perthshire PH2 1BL

T: 0845-370-0016 : M: 0781-326-2782 : E: info@scotz.net

View Profile Send Message Leave Testimonial Find Posts

Siam Kidd
ukBullionDirect.com
Telephone:
0207 887 2681

My Links:
Posted: 24th Apr 2012 - 13:43 Quote

There have been some very good points made on this thread so far, and I 100% agree that the true wealth out there is in the land, property and businesses, but the property market still has another 3-5 years of falling before it hits rock bottom. So yes it is a good place to store your wealth, but in my opinion, not yet. So I'm going to play devils advocate here. If you take every asset class over the last 30 years, what asset has appreciated the most do you think? Gold and silver. When you compare gold and silver to even the tech or real estate industry, they dwarf them. Gold increased by a factor of 24 and silver a factor of 36 in that time frame. Even in the last 10 years they have out paced everything. Yet, financial professionals don't recommend them properly. The main reason is that there are 7 ways to invest in these metal and all of them will burn you apart from 1. It's just a case of knowledge. And gold and silver haven't even start to climb yet......

But hey, there's my 2 cents! And by the way, I've killed my pension....pensions are not the way forward as most are index linked and a stock market correction is imminient...plus the currency supply is on an exponential rate of growth, so ones pension is dwindling away as I type...

Siam Kidd

Director

02078 872681

Wealth Cycle Investors Ltd

Company No: 8252060

Blog: www.SiamKidd.org
As a gift, I'd like to give you a link to my DVD which fully explains what's really happening in the world economy at the moment and why we are all in for a big shock soon...

www.HedgingAgainstUncertainty.com

View Profile Send Message Leave Testimonial Find Posts TWEET ME @siamkidd

Gary Smith
Scotz.Net
Telephone:
0845-370-0016

My Links:
Posted: 24th Apr 2012 - 13:54 Quote

When gold has increased by 24 times and silver by 36 times a vision of a bubble enters my head. If wisdom comes with age then I can remember the Bunker Hunt brothers going bust when these oil rich billionaires tried to corner the world market in silver. They huffed and puffed and this giant bubble they made went pop. And the price came tumbling down. All that Georgian silver melted down, that should have been criminal.

Go for metal to make you rich. 6 out of 7 ways of investing in metal will burn me but 1 won't. And you know that one way. Frankly, if I knew that way then I wouldn't be telling 4N'ers, I would be out on my yacht. Alternatively, I might take the opinion that something for nothing, an easy way to get rich, if it is too good to be true ......... well, I think I will stick to my knitting.

Gary

Gary Smith : Scotz.Net : P.O. Box 7560 : Perth : Perthshire PH2 1BL

T: 0845-370-0016 : M: 0781-326-2782 : E: info@scotz.net

Simon Ward
Mr Green Estate Agents
Telephone:
01202 387718

My Links:
Posted: 24th Apr 2012 - 14:20 Quote
Quote:
Quote:

If your mechanic tinkered with your car and charged you a fixed % of the value of the car, regardless of whether they fixed it or made it worse, you might start to look for alternatives.

This makes an awful lot of sense.

Simon Ward

Mr Green

Transparent and honest Estate Agents

Houses and Flats for sale in Christchurch, Southbourne, Bournemouth, Poole and the New Forest

01202 387718

Twitter @mrgreenhomes

https://www.facebook.com/MrGreenHomes

View Profile Send Message Leave Testimonial Find Posts TWEET ME @mrgreenhomes

Siam Kidd
ukBullionDirect.com
Telephone:
0207 887 2681

My Links:
Posted: 24th Apr 2012 - 18:23 Quote

Gary

Investing in metals is not get rich quick. Simply a hedge against uncertainty. The 1 way to positively invest in them is to buy physical investment grade bullion, and to stay well away from ETFs etc. Yes, it will enter a bubble, but the precious metals bubble has barely begun. And the 1970's bull market followed by the 1980 peak is a completely different ball game from today.

Essentially, gold is hoarded, silver is consumed. And not many people know that there is far far more gold available than silver. There's a lot more to this than that, but I'm simply spreading the word as we're in an exponential rate of growth with the currency supply at the moment so the pounds in your pocket is devaluing as I type this....worth having a little gander at the video in my signature mate...

Siam Kidd

Director

02078 872681

As a gift, I'd like to give you a link to my DVD which fully explains what's really happening in the world economy at the moment and why we are all in for a big shock soon...

Phil Collard
Charity
Telephone:
07969 532573

My Links:
Posted: 25th Apr 2012 - 12:21 Quote
Quote:

But hey, there's my 2 cents! And by the way, I've killed my pension....pensions are not the way forward as most are index linked and a stock market correction is imminient...plus the currency supply is on an exponential rate of growth, so ones pension is dwindling away as I type...

You do realise that, as a pension is just a tax wrapper, this statement makes no sense at all, don't you?

Firstly, it is like saying - "I've smashed all of my mugs because the coffee I bought the other day tasted awful"

Secondly - if you don't want your pension to be index-linked (by which I assume you mean invested in equities.. the phrase index linked is unbelievably broad) then don't invest it that way.. fairly simple stuff! - How about buying Gold / Silver with it?

Phil Collard
Co-founder - Honeybones

Honeybones Logo

View Profile Send Message Leave Testimonial Find Posts TWEET ME @honeybones_org

Siam Kidd
ukBullionDirect.com
Telephone:
0207 887 2681

My Links:
Posted: 25th Apr 2012 - 23:50 Quote

Just re read my post and you're completely correct! And yes, I'm all in when it comes to precious metals. 90% metals, 10% cash. And I have diversified my portfolio...I've got gold AND silver! :-P

Siam Kidd

Director

02078 872681

Phil Collard
Charity
Telephone:
07969 532573

My Links:
Posted: 26th Apr 2012 - 06:07 Quote
Quote:

Just re read my post and you're completely correct! And yes, I'm all in when it comes to precious metals. 90% metals, 10% cash. And I have diversified my portfolio...I've got gold AND silver! :-P

Open Mouthed Smile

Phil Collard
Co-founder - Honeybones

Honeybones Logo

Phillip Bray
Investment Sense
Telephone:
01159 338 433

My Links:
Posted: 27th Apr 2012 - 06:01 Quote
Quote:

You do realise that, as a pension is just a tax wrapper, this statement makes no sense at all, don't you?

Firstly, it is like saying - "I've smashed all of my mugs because the coffee I bought the other day tasted awful"

Secondly - if you don't want your pension to be index-linked (by which I assume you mean invested in equities.. the phrase index linked is unbelievably broad) then don't invest it that way.. fairly simple stuff! - How about buying Gold / Silver with it?

Perfectly put. I used the coffee mug analargy earlier this week at a seminar, glad someone else uses it too!

You hit on a great point, that investors need to focus more on the investment (coffee) and not the tax wrapper (mug).

Phillip Bray, Marketing & Relationship Manager for Investment Sense

Considering a SIPP? Already use a SIPP? Visit SIPP Chat to rate and review SIPP providers or just read what other investors and advisers have to say.

Any posts on this forum should not be considered to be advice. Views expressed are personal and not necessarily the views of Investment Sense.

Investment Sense Ltd is registered in England & Wales no. 07050481. Investment Sense Ltd is registered in England & Wales no. 07050481. Investment Sense Ltd is an Appointed Representative of the Sense Network FSA No. 465124, which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority.

View Profile Send Message Leave Testimonial Find Posts TWEET ME @philbray73

Phil Collard
Charity
Telephone:
07969 532573

My Links:
Posted: 27th Apr 2012 - 14:02 Quote
Quote:
Quote:

Perfectly put. I used the coffee mug analargy earlier this week at a seminar, glad someone else uses it too!

You hit on a great point, that investors need to focus more on the investment (coffee) and not the tax wrapper (mug).

Thanks Philip... Someone elses uses the coffee mug analogy!!??? #kindredspirit Open Mouthed Smile

Phil Collard
Co-founder - Honeybones

Honeybones Logo

Andy Sheppard
Rowanbank Financial Consultants Ltd
Telephone:
Posted: 30th Apr 2012 - 17:15 Quote
Quote:
Quote:

One alternative being take it to a different mechanic. One who has been recommended to you and one who will charge a transparent fee for a specific piece of work.

Since we are using analogies, a mechanic may fix your brakes, but if a lorry side swipes you, your car is still wrecked even though you did the sensible thing and had the brakes fixed. 

Unfortunately, we can't prepare for everything and we have all been tarnished by the practices of some less than scrupulous mechanics/IFA's in the past.

View Profile Send Message Leave Testimonial Find Posts TWEET ME @edinburgh_ifa

Karen OrangeTree
OrangeTree Development
Telephone:
01865 600365

My Links:
Posted: 30th Apr 2012 - 22:38 Quote

I still think taking the advice of a wealth manager is wise. Of course, some are charlatans, but far from all. Our money is mostly in long term investments, not pension funds specifically, but making a shares based, and healthy, return. At the moment, capital growth, and tax efficiency, are to us as important as monthly interest payments.

But this is highly variable counsel depending on your own individual circumstances, risk aversion and needs. I have no regrets for taking advice on this.

Oh, and mostly, it is not in the UK.

www.orangetree.biz

0208 242 6701

07709 309856

karen.longstaff

Karen OrangeTree
OrangeTree Websites
Close this Panel

Hand coded HTML,CSS dynamic loveliness www.orangetreedevelopment.co.uk
OrangeTree Bespoke Development
Close this Panel

We love turning your ideas into online reality, using modern dynamic architecture. We have built systems for SME's that have become the core of their businesses.

If you have had an idea buzzing around, thinking it might be an exciting addition to your business, give us a call. You just never know .......

More at www.orangetreedevelopment.co.uk/technology.html
OrangeTree Products
Close this Panel

Browser based software for business. Trusted by small business and large multi-nationals alike. Tested for accessibility for complete peace of mind for employers

More at www.orangetreedevelopment.co.uk/technology.html
OrangeTree Consultancy
Close this Panel

OrangeTree provides the kind of consultancy services that spank you in the face with the obvious, to grow you and your business.

Clear, focussed, incisive, powerful and fun.

Provided by people who have walked the walk as well as talked the talk.

More at www.orangetreedevelopment.co.uk/vision.html
SoleHeaven
Close this Panel

New and exclusive styles from:
Asics | New Balance | Clae | Air Jordan | Onitsuka | Puma | Vans | Adidas | Gravis | Nike | PRO-Keds | Supra | Hundreds

Visit our new sneaker lounge! Details on the website www.soleheaven.com
Badminton Alpha
Close this Panel

Suppliers of Forza Badminton Sportswear and Equipment. www.badmintonalpha.co.uk

Brian Croucher
The Property Expert
Telephone:
01380 831313
Posted: 1st May 2012 - 23:41 Quote

andy,

how did you get that halo in your photo? are all IFA's angels?

View Profile Send Message Leave Testimonial Find Posts TWEET ME @briancroucher
Page: « 1 2 3 4 »

To reply to this topic please sign in or register.