Need to move BT phone line on house...how?

Back
  3rd Apr 2008 - 13:23 3rd Apr 2008
John Burns
Gift4life & Somerset...

Need to move BT phone line on house...how?

I am moving a home office from upstairs to downstairs and need to move the point at which the BT line enters the building. Does anyone have experience of this?

Any Openreach engineers available for a home job?

I am trying to talk to BT about it but the options look very expensive or unsuitable.

Any takers?

3rd Apr 2008 - 13:58 3rd Apr 2008
Margaret MacKenzie
Entrega Logistics Li...

John, I think you can get a doobry-wotsit (or it might be an oojama-flip) that you plug in upstairs and it beams a signal downstairs. Don't know much about it though. A good person to talk to would be Shaun Steger-Lewis (Opus Telecom) on 07840 120160 who knows everything there is to know about 'phones. I would really recommend him.

3rd Apr 2008 - 14:21 3rd Apr 2008
Paul Howes
Kontrolit.net

John - Not sure about this but I think you are not allowed to move the master box only connect to it in an approved way. There should be no reason for moving it as you can get a plug in wired extension that will give you all facilities including ADSL.

Of course you may not want it accessible upstairs but then again you can get something that locks the facility I believe.

3rd Apr 2008 - 14:52 3rd Apr 2008
John Burns
Gift4life & Somerset...

Thanks folks

It rather looks as if a combination of a wireless range extender (signal is too low in the new office) and a plug in phone line extender should do the job. Still not ideal as the original wireless router will then be in what is to become the babies bedroom but it will be a good deal less traumatic than having BT move the kit. (Probably!)

3rd Apr 2008 - 14:52 3rd Apr 2008
John Burns
Gift4life & Somerset...

Should I be letting my babies sleep in a room flooded by 2.4GHz RF?

3rd Apr 2008 - 15:20 3rd Apr 2008
Paul Howes
Kontrolit.net

Why don't you put the router at the end of the extension? It does not have to be on master socket just has to have a microfilter on every device.

3rd Apr 2008 - 20:33 3rd Apr 2008
Simon Bourne
Delta PC

John are you trying to get broadband downstairs or a telephone service?

If you are trying to get BB downstairs with out frying the kids brains then you can use these.
http://www.deltapc.com/powerline.htm

3rd Apr 2008 - 23:25 3rd Apr 2008
Martin Ellis
Access Keyway Locksm...

An electrician can do this for you. The connection to the first phone point is owned by BT but you are able to connect an extention wire into this box. Wired in a similar way to an electric wire to a socket. Not BT prices and not a big deal, done it lots of times.

4th Apr 2008 - 10:34 4th Apr 2008
Agnes Storrie
Independent Distribu...
Quote:

Should I be letting my babies sleep in a room flooded by 2.4GHz RF?

I definitely wouldn't.

4th Apr 2008 - 14:43 4th Apr 2008
John Holden
Utility Warehouse

Hi John i have just check with HO and should you want professional Communication engineer to move your telephone line point add a socket ect Utility Warehouse charges £164.51p inc vat. BT charges 171.55p inc vat. Not that much cheaper. I would be tempted to look freelance communications engineer, and cost them. Or DIY dependent on the job

If you want to save on your all your utility bills whilst sorting out phones lines check out this link www.utilitywarehouse.co.uk/entrance/index.taf?exref=A11866 you might cover your expenses of moving your line by reducing your bills ???

5th Apr 2008 - 14:34 5th Apr 2008
John Burns
Gift4life & Somerset...

OK I have a kind of fix for now thanks for the inputs.

For those who have a similar problem I used a product from devolo dlan broadband extender which takes the broadband ethernet signal and put over the mains wiring. It worked straight out the box.I got mine from Maplin cos I wanted it sorted but I think Simon from Delta PC does something similar.

The set up is not perfect I still need to move the phone signal as well but there is a similar DECT product to allow this.

I think the main problem with all of this is that BT/Openreach is still a monopoly and they really do not want to bugger about with installed lines, so they charge accordingly.

Thanks to all for the suggestions.

Hope this helps for anyone else with similar issues.

5th Apr 2008 - 14:35 5th Apr 2008
John Burns
Gift4life & Somerset...

I nearly forgot the cost for the pair of units was £69.99.

5th Apr 2008 - 16:30 5th Apr 2008
Simon Bourne
Delta PC

Could have saved you £19.99 John! At least you have it sorted for now.

http://www.deltapc.com/powerline.htm

5th Apr 2008 - 17:42 5th Apr 2008
John Burns
Gift4life & Somerset...

Doh!

To reply to this topic please sign in or register.

-->