Take note! GDPR is coming

Back
  9th Nov 2017 - 13:55 9th Nov 2017
Ann Wootton
IVY work life balanc...

Take note! GDPR is coming

St Neots were taking notes this morning as Paul Drake from Whitestar Systems Ltd gave his 4SIght on GDPR. As you can see from the image there were notebooks out in force & lots of scribbling going on.  No, we weren't doodling, just jotting down points to consider or note.  Paul busted a few myths & gave us 7 pointers on how we should keep our data in line with the new regulations. With all the questions we did run over a bit, but we all thought it was worth it. Thanks Paul!

9th Nov 2017 - 20:55 9th Nov 2017
Maureen Barrett
Helping Hands Office...

Well I have to say Paul Drake was exceptional at explaining this subject.

As we all sat there avidly making notes he dropped in a comment that he would send me the slides to me for distribution to the attendees and the tension left the room swiftly - amazing !!

Thank you so much Paul

10th Nov 2017 - 18:14 10th Nov 2017
Maureen Barrett
Helping Hands Office...

The slides arrived as promised together with a contact we can approach if we still have questions - now that is what you call service!!

Thank you so much Paul Drake.

I now have lots of homework to do and feel much more enlightened on the subject

13th Nov 2017 - 16:28 13th Nov 2017
Richard Duff
IMSM Ltd

GDPR is not coming - its already here.

Its been in place as an upgrade the the Data Protection Act for the last 2 years

Whats coming in May next year are the penalties for breaches and having a non compliant management system

I suspect we will start to see the ambulance chasers next year as PPI comes to an end and GDPR allows for data subjects to also seek compensation for a breach ontop

of the penalties

Could be interesting times or could be a bit like YR2000

13th Nov 2017 - 16:48 13th Nov 2017
Ann Wootton
IVY work life balanc...

It's a wait & see game then?  Policing such regulations is difficult due the cost involved.  If there are people paid to inforce, then they will generate incomes. It will surely only be worth taking on the 'big boys'.

19th Nov 2017 - 18:20 19th Nov 2017
Maureen Barrett
Helping Hands Office...

As I understand it that is just a bit of scare mongering.

If you can show that you are doing your best to implement the changes required then the powers that be will give you a slap on the wrist and tell you where you are going wrong - if you still continue to go wrong then thats a different matter.

Most small businesses cannot do everything that is required in such a relatively short amount of time and this is being taken into account.

20th Nov 2017 - 03:43 20th Nov 2017
Ann Wootton
IVY work life balanc...

They are after the big guys, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be applying it.

20th Nov 2017 - 19:25 20th Nov 2017
Maureen Barrett
Helping Hands Office...

Yes we should be applying it, I agree. I am just saying that if we haven't crossed all the t's and dotted all the i's then we shouldn't be paranoid that we are going to be slapped with a hefty fine.

These guys are also there to guide us and if we have done something a bit wrong then they will show us the error of our ways to ensure we don't do it again - if we do then we only have ourselves to blame don't we?

However, that won't apply for complete stupidity or major data loss etc and nor will apply to anyone who has made no effort what so ever to comply so I guess the message is:

''ROLL UP YOUR SLEEVES AND GET ON WITH IT!!''

22nd Nov 2017 - 09:05 22nd Nov 2017
Richard Duff
IMSM Ltd

GDPR is law and applies to ALL businesses large or small

Look at it in the same way as Health and Safety law - the directors and owners of the business are personally liable in court, no hiding under a Ltd company same as H&S law.

You can be fined and penalised for a real breach or for not running a compliant or 'safe' personal data management process.

It will be policed by those people who find their data is breached and not by the ICO - as I say watch out for ambulance chasers next year.

As I mentioned earlier GDPR is here and has been for 2 years - ignorance of the law is not an excuse.

The penalties will be proportionate but a breach of credit card data by a small company could put that business out of business immediately

get on the ICO website - look at the 12 steps - BS10012 is the British standard that covers GDPR as a management system ISO27001 is the IT and data security standard that

can be used to help manage compliance - complicance is not a one of it is for ever

Richard

22nd Nov 2017 - 09:30 22nd Nov 2017
Ann Wootton
IVY work life balanc...

Thank you for the pointer!

To reply to this topic please sign in or register.