Collecting from Heathrow Terminal 3

Back
  8th May 2010 - 19:14 8th May 2010
James Collins
Speak Out Media

Collecting from Heathrow Terminal 3

I'm going to be making a trip to collect Jen from Terminal 3 at Heathrow next week as she has been home to Canada for a visit.

Looking at the short stay prices they are astronomical. Is there a sneakier, better way to collect someone?

I was thinking of finding somewhere close by to wait in the car, and then wait for her to call and drive into the pick-up area for 30 seconds, loading in her case and then heading off home.

Problem is, her flight is due at 09:30, but the wait for border control can be anything between instant to about an hour, especially for her as she enters the country on a visa. This makes it impossible for me to know exactly what time to pick her up.

If anyone regularly does this procedure and has a method that works do let me know below!

8th May 2010 - 19:40 8th May 2010
Graham Harding
My Little Wrapper (F...

I used to live an hour from Heathrow and my parents were flying in to Heathrow - they would ring on landing.

By the time they had got luggage, cleared customs, been to the loo, and found the exit doors I was loitering outside.

If I had to a couple of circuits in the car fine - so be it.

I also checked on ceefax whether the flight was on time or not !

8th May 2010 - 20:15 8th May 2010
Suraj Sodha
Content Day

i used to pick my dad up from heathrow regularly and never went into the car park. just stop with your hazard lights on at the pick-up/drop-off point outside T3 but ike Graham said sometime you have to go around a couple of times but its worth it to save the silly car park prices.

i was at luton airport today dropping off my brother and was parked for 17minutes. cost me £3. what a rip off!

8th May 2010 - 20:30 8th May 2010
Les Kinch
Parrot Hosting & Web...

how hard is it to be waiting outside the airport and drive in when someone is going through the checkout, They might have to wait 5-10 minutes for you to actually drive up and stop, but would that be an issue or can you not do that any more?

8th May 2010 - 20:52 8th May 2010
a a
x

James, if someone is coming through on a non-UK passport, they are often quicker than those who have UK ones!

There is no-where you can stop and wait (for obvious security reasons) so the best thing is to sit on the perimeter road round by the car hire drop offs... this is where all the plane spotters sit (apparently!!) If Jen calls you once she has her bag, you will be able to drive the 1 mile or so round the perimeter road, down past the police station, through the tunnel and round to T3 in the time it will take her to get outside... Arrange a point for her to wait outside (Bus stop C for example) so you don't look like you are curb crawling!!...

Alternatively, a great idea is get her to get on a Parking Express transfer bus that will take her to the long stay car park and then meet her there!

P

8th May 2010 - 21:21 8th May 2010
David Carey
Red Balloon Creative...

There's a couple of petrol stations on the perimeter road that have coffee shops in them I think, can always park up there and wait for the call to get her.

8th May 2010 - 22:13 8th May 2010
a a
x

None on the perimeter road, but close by on the A4...

8th May 2010 - 22:59 8th May 2010
P P
PP

i had to pay about 4.50 to park at heathrow this week for just over 30 minutes. bloody rip off. next time i'm probably going to stop on the m4 services and wait for a call - its only about 5/10 mins away isnt it?

9th May 2010 - 15:47 9th May 2010
Brendan Johnson
Authentic Spirit

At Birmingham Airport you now have to PAY just to drive into the drop off zone!!

9th May 2010 - 17:20 9th May 2010
David Carey
Red Balloon Creative...
Quote:

i had to pay about 4.50 to park at heathrow this week for just over 30 minutes. bloody rip off. next time i'm probably going to stop on the m4 services and wait for a call - its only about 5/10 mins away isnt it?

Yep, not far at all.

If anyone's going up there (at a reasonable hour!) and fancies a coffee give me a shout. I live in Heston, literally on the A4, so could go for a coffee either on the services or at mine whilst you're waiting for the call to collect.

9th May 2010 - 18:11 9th May 2010
First Name Last Name
Company Name

The secret is Colnbrook. Trust me. Less than 10 minutes from the terminals, fairly quiet place, and you can wait there until she calls and says she is out of the airport.

9th May 2010 - 18:19 9th May 2010
David Hardstaff
Home Counties Busine...
Quote:

i used to pick my dad up from heathrow regularly and never went into the car park. just stop with your hazard lights on at the pick-up/drop-off point outside T3 but ike Graham said sometime you have to go around a couple of times but its worth it to save the silly car park prices.

i was at luton airport today dropping off my brother and was parked for 17minutes. cost me £3. what a rip off!

Well, Luton Airport is owned by a Spanish company whose core business is car-parks and toll-roads, so you can easily see which income stream they are interested in! They also own Cardiff and Belfast, I think, as well as a dozen overseas airports.

To reply to this topic please sign in or register.