Callback

Beware the scam that trapped me!

Page: 1 2 3 »
Telephone:
0208 866 4326

My Links:
Posted: 12th Mar 2013 - 14:26 Quote

May I warn you about an incredibly sophisticated credit card scam going on that we got caught with last Thursday!

This is how it went and they were SOOOOOO convincing.

Man from the Apple Store in Regent Street rang to say that they had two suspicious men in the store paying with my Barclaycard.  When I said it couldn’t be mine, he told us to ring Barclaycard.  I at once did that (the police have told us that they stay on the line and when you pick up again, they play a recording of a dialling tone so you think you’re phoning out anew) . Then they answered as Barclaycard, took my account number and said that three £300 payments had been made on the card that day in London (definitely not mine). They said they needed all my cards as they needed to figure out how the card was cloned. They needed me to key in all his PINs into the phone with the # key. (I know you mustn’t, but was taken in completely …)
They asked if we could take the cards down to Crawley. Of course we said no, so he said he would arrange a courier.

They asked him to set up a password that they would give to the courier who would give us the password when he came to collect the card.
The guy stayed on the phone pretending to give us updates about police interviews etc. and then he eventually said the police had caught the two men and they were being questioned.

We gave the cards to the "courier" (who, oddly, hadn’t come by motorbike) and all the time the guy was on the phone. He said he would call in the morning to let us know what happened in the court case. He also said he would arrange for £50 to be sent by courier to us in the morning to tide us over.

Of course the call never came, still less the £50, so we rang Barclaycard that afternoon and they had no record of our report. Then I rang the police who said it was a typical scam and told me how they do it.

They stay on the line and so you think you have dialled your credit card company. There are 2 people and it sounds like you've dialled out but in fact their call never cut off.  He was very convincing and it is only in hind sight that we can see where we went wrong.
Number 1 rule never give your credit cards to anyone or your PIN.

There was no cloning - they got the cards and records show that (probably) four of them were withdrawing sums all over London that evening and the next morning..

I hope I can get reimbursed and I hope no one else gets caught this way.

Solve health issues naturally and earn extra income working from home with Ogenki
View Profile Send Message Leave Testimonial Find Posts TWEET ME @michael_gordon1

Brad Burton
4Networking
Telephone:
0845 123 4444

My Links:
Posted: 12th Mar 2013 - 14:31 Quote

Thanks for the nod Mike, is that what actually happened to you or is that from someone else?

Brad BurtonBrad Burton Twitter Link to BradBurton.biz Brad Burton MD 4Networking Life. Business. Just got easier. Link to BradBurton.biz Link to BradBurton.biz

View Profile Send Message Leave Testimonial Find Posts TWEET ME @Bradburton

Gary Smith
Scotz.Net
Telephone:
0845-370-0016

My Links:
Posted: 12th Mar 2013 - 14:36 Quote

That's scary. I am now forewarned.

Gary

Gary Smith : Scotz.Net : P.O. Box 7560 : Perth : Perthshire PH2 1BL

T: 0845-370-0016 : M: 0781-326-2782 : E: info@scotz.net

View Profile Send Message Leave Testimonial Find Posts

Scott Chapman
Chapman Copywriting
Telephone:
0191 427 47 5...
Posted: 12th Mar 2013 - 14:42 Quote

To me, I don't consider this very sophisticated as it's THE number one golden rule to never give card details over the phone as a method of identification, never mind a PIN number! At least some scams attempt to get around asking for the details in such a brazen manner.

Banks repeat this often. They have no need to ask for any sort of card details as they already have them all on file.

Martin Gaunt
The Computer Technician
Telephone:
01234 300686

My Links:
Posted: 12th Mar 2013 - 14:45 Quote

What Scot said.

Follow these guidlines above.

Still makes a bad day for anyone that falls for it.

Nothing new.

View Profile Send Message Leave Testimonial Find Posts TWEET ME @pctechbedford

Barry Fitzpatrick
Buzzworks Card Services Ltd
Telephone:
0844 450 0018

My Links:
Posted: 12th Mar 2013 - 14:51 Quote

I had a call yesterday from my card company  (genuine as it happens) but before they proceed they wanted to do an ID check DOB, Postcode, etc .

Q. How do you know it IS the card company calling you?
A. Well before I gave them my ID details I asked them to identify themselves first! 

To extend the golden rule of not giving your PIN over the phone, I'd be very wary of giving any ID until I am sure who it is I am speaking to. 

View Profile Send Message Leave Testimonial Find Posts TWEET ME @MobilePDQ

Gary Smith
Scotz.Net
Telephone:
0845-370-0016

My Links:
Posted: 12th Mar 2013 - 14:53 Quote
Quote:

To me, I don't consider this very sophisticated as it's THE number one golden rule to never give card details over the phone as a method of identification, never mind a PIN number! At least some scams attempt to get around asking for the details in such a brazen manner.

Banks repeat this often. They have no need to ask for any sort of card details as they already have them all on file.

Agreed. But to be fair, the victim is caught on the hop and most human beings will be flustered. Sure, the scam radar kicks in and there is no way you would ever give this information over the phone. But, as far as the victim is concerned, he had hung up the call and dialled Barclaycard direct. I can understand many people falling for it.

Gary

Gary Smith : Scotz.Net : P.O. Box 7560 : Perth : Perthshire PH2 1BL

T: 0845-370-0016 : M: 0781-326-2782 : E: info@scotz.net

Martin Gaunt
The Computer Technician
Telephone:
01234 300686

My Links:
Posted: 12th Mar 2013 - 14:55 Quote

Yes Gary, I see this a lot being in the domistic IT field more than Biz.

I tell my customers not to panic.

Easy to say, hard for my customer to do.

View Profile Send Message Leave Testimonial Find Posts TWEET ME @pctechbedford

Telephone:
0208 866 4326

My Links:
Posted: 12th Mar 2013 - 15:14 Quote
Quote:

Thanks for the nod Mike, is that what actually happened to you or is that from someone else?

Regrettably, it's 100% personal experience. Could have cost me £3,000, but some of it is definitely coming back.

Solve health issues naturally and earn extra income working from home with Ogenki
View Profile Send Message Leave Testimonial Find Posts TWEET ME @michael_gordon1

Telephone:
0208 866 4326

My Links:
Posted: 12th Mar 2013 - 15:16 Quote
Quote:

Of COURSE, you're right! But when you dial Barclaycard and speak to someone from Barclaycard (as you believe), then you become gullible and malleable.

Brad Burton
4Networking
Telephone:
0845 123 4444

My Links:
Posted: 12th Mar 2013 - 16:10 Quote

Thanks for sharing Mike. Hopefully we can deter others from having the same fate. Press the tweet button people. 

Brad BurtonBrad Burton Twitter Link to BradBurton.biz Brad Burton MD 4Networking Life. Business. Just got easier. Link to BradBurton.biz Link to BradBurton.biz

View Profile Send Message Leave Testimonial Find Posts TWEET ME @Bradburton

Telephone:
0208 866 4326

My Links:
Posted: 12th Mar 2013 - 16:13 Quote

Absolutely, Brad. The police say that this month, to their knowledge, about 2-300 people in London have fallen for this.

Judy Mansfield
First Rate FX
Telephone:
0203 514 3707...

My Links:
Posted: 12th Mar 2013 - 16:23 Quote

I'm so sorry Michael - we all like to think we wouldn't fall for something like this.... until it happens.   Cry

Can I add to anyone reading this that I've met Michael  - He absolutely cannot be described as gullible or naive!  I consider him to be astute, thoughtful and wise - so if it could happen to him....  

I echo my thanks for the heads up Smiley

Judy Mansfield

View Profile Send Message Leave Testimonial Find Posts TWEET ME @JudyFRFX

David Bannister
Liability Risk Services Ltd
Telephone:

My Links:
Posted: 12th Mar 2013 - 16:33 Quote

300 people @ £3000 per month = quite a good business, even if it is only short term!

Hope no more 4Ners get caught.

I've also noticed that the scam emails are starting to look more & more genuine. I had one yesterday purporting to be from PayPal that very nearly convinced me to click until I noticed that the transaction was for something that I had not bought.

View Profile Send Message Leave Testimonial Find Posts TWEET ME @liability-risk

Bob Shepherd
Bob Shepherd Associates
Telephone:
07747 758596

My Links:
Posted: 12th Mar 2013 - 16:49 Quote

It is a clever scam because it is playing with the unsophisticated elements. We have got used to the idea that scams are high tech. This one isn't. It is a confidence trick and involves a big dollop of nerve. Most people don't know their incoming phone call remains live even though they put their receiver down. 

I am from the finance world and I have had trouble getting my family to recognise the obvious alarm bells. Not that I think i know it all either. 

"Never give out information of any kind over the phone" - and that is hard sometimes. I have had genuine calls with Banks, Insurance companies, Govermnment agencies. They call you and they still want their ID checks (for 'Data Protection purposes' they say without any understanding)  When I say "You're calling me and I have no way of knowing who you are" they don't see it sometimes. 

It's a rotten world out there. 

Bob ShepherdACIB MIBA DipRSA MILM

07747 758 596           Group Leader for Nifty NEWPORT (that's a link)  - You should be there!

e:  mail@BobShepherdAssociates.co.uk                         E-mails

w:   http://www.bobshepherdassociates.co.uk                      Web site 

T:    http://twitter.com/bob_shepherd                                   Twitter 

Li     http:uk.linkedin.com.in.bobshepherdassociates           Linked In 

Fb    http://www.facebook.com/bobshepherdassociates       Facebook

Bs    http://www.bobshepherdassociates.blogspot.com        News and Comment 

Wp   http://www.bobshepherdassociates.wordpress.com     News Blog

View Profile Send Message Leave Testimonial Find Posts TWEET ME @bob_shepherd
Page: 1 2 3 »

To reply to this topic please sign in or register.