I was chatting to someone on Twitter and we were discussing the unwritten rules of Social Media. He was saying that “there are no rules” and was preaching to me about freedom of speech etc… um!
Some people believe they can do and say whatever they want without consequences. The truth is the community knows what everyone is up to. If they see you’re a shameless self-promoter, you’ll be buried. So, in brief here are the Green Umbrella rules of Social Media!
1. Start with being nice - or if you can’t be nice then don’t say anything at all! Sometimes, people say things that you instantly want to scream back and give your opinion. If you do reply then be nice about it.
2. Build relationships - this should be 2nd nature by now. If you are still trying the hard sell then you are pushing water uphill. People are more likely to buy from you if you have some form of relationship with them. So concentrate your efforts on building rapport by interacting and engaging with your potential customers.
3. Don’t forget to give - remember the old phrase “you scratch my back and i’ll scratch yours?” well, its coming round again. Think about it. The easiest way to get a reccommendation on LinkedIn is to give someone a recommendation. If you are constantly sharing, re-tweeting, backlinking other sites etc, then they will feel obliged to return the gesture. So give more than you receive.
4. Don’t sabotage others efforts - making enemies on social media means that you are going no-where fast. If anything, try the opposite and embrace your competition. You will be surprised at the results.
5. Adding Value to- At the end of the day, the thing that will earn you great connections with others is if you add value to the community. This means not submitting content that nobody cares about and not constantly promoting your brand. Before you ever submit anything to a social media site, ask yourself “Does this article really add value to the community?” If not, reconsider submitting it.
I am sure there are lots of other “unwritten rules”of Social Media. Please feel free to add some to the bottom of this blog post. I would love to hear them..