First ever 4N Google+ Hangout just took place - read what happened

John Corey
Chelsea Private Equity

Testimonials : 12

Quote:

Ah! poo! I lost track of time again ... 

Same here. Not even sure I was really awake yet as I am 5 hours behind the UK today. Back in the UK Sunday. Looking forward to trying a future 4N hangout

Alison Thompson
The Proof Fairy

Testimonials : 18

I've just blogged about the Hangout, if anyone wants to hear my take on it. Julian, I'd be up for one every Friday I think, it provided a welcome break from a hard day's work!

Andy Howells
Unleash IT

Telephone :

Testimonials : 15

I'm definitely up for giving it a whirl next time, I am extremely handsome though so people may have a hard time concentrating.

Julian Wellings
Expertise on Tap

Telephone :

Testimonials : 44

I'll do another one next Friday at 2pm to give more people a chance to try it.

Lee Rickler
Point and Stare

Telephone :

Testimonials : 55

Ah! poo! I lost track of time again ... buried knee deep in PHP!

Julian Wellings
Expertise on Tap

Telephone :

Quote:

Just one question - how do you actually start a hangout? I can't work out how to do it!

On your G+ page Alison, right hand side you should see this...

Callie Willows
Digital Dogsbody

Telephone :

Testimonials : 19

Well, I wasn't on the Hangout but was on the periphery as we only have one headset between Mike MImo and myself! (o apologies if you got to glimpse me looking scary in the background as I answered phone calls!)

It seemed to flow really well from what I could see though and MImo came off the call raving about how impressed he was with Google Hangouts, so I'm looking forward to a change to experience one!

The feedback has also given me the idea of using it for some projects I am setting up. And I do like the idea of maybe setting up a 4N Mastermind group using it - that could be great.

Alison Thompson
The Proof Fairy

Just one question - how do you actually start a hangout? I can't work out how to do it!

Mike Morrison

Telephone :

Testimonials : 61

Very impressed with the Hangout feature - I try to avoid anything involving using my webcam but I can see myself using this a hell of a lot more.  The way in which the system works helps the conversation to flow so much better and it's so easy to use.

I've also been checking out the previews of extra features like sharing your screen with other participants, real-time collaborative editing of documents etc and they're damn impressive.

The Hangout today was good, I was impressed with how well things just flowed in terms of stuff to talk about - covering everything from Google+ itself, bit of social media chat, thoughts on 4N TV and evening networking, then on to business discussions about cashflow, the effect of the Xmas break and how it differs with SME's to corporates - good range of topics covered without the need for an "agenda" or having to force the discussion.

I can see this being so helpful and useful on so many fronts - video-conferencing, focus groups, running virtual mastermind groups (which I've wanted to do for a long time), structured virtual networking meetings (the way the system works would make a "40 seconds" round work pretty well!), webinars, rountables/Q+A's, virtual coaching sessions or just informal chats.

It was already on my radar to look at using Hangouts to support various bits and pieces I'd like to do in 2012 but having used the system in a non-testing way it's even more prevalent than before.

Alison Thompson
The Proof Fairy

I joined late but really enjoyed it, the technology worked well and I was impressed with how easy it was to use and the way the camera moved automatically between speakers. I don't do a lot of video conferencing but I could see me using this opver Akype, which I find a bit clunky and slow - especially if I wanted to talk to lots of epople.

I can already see some practical applications - for example, I ran a webinar a few weeks ago and it would ahve been good to have followed up with a drop-in Q&A session for the participants. It would also be a great platform for things like mastermind groups, social media clubs, business talk drop-ins and ... dare I say it ... online networking meetings!

Julian Wellings
Expertise on Tap

Telephone :

The first ever unofficial 4N Google+ "Hangout" just took place. Thanks to Mike Morrison, Michael Goody, Alison Neale and Denise McCallum for taking part.
The technology worked really well and we randomly discussed various topics for around 40 minutes. I'd be interested to hear from those present, and others, how G+ Hangouts could be used effectively going forward.  

/ Sorry about my sudden departure at 14:38, my internet connection dropped!