Is Bartercard Really Worth The Investment?

Brad Burton
4Networking

Telephone :

Testimonials : 112

All good fella.
Tony Miceli
OutBox Thinking

Telephone :

Testimonials : 0

Quote:
Tony all you are doing is sell sell selling.. All day long. Wrong community for that. Your rep is growing is the wrong way son. Your call.

Yes im am not used to forums that i agree - must admit not ge the jest is this a social forum or one gaining business - yes a combination of both is great .

I hate facebook with a passion even though i have it , hardly use it ! Until now have hardly ventured into forums and maybe a bit naive or simply because i have a fire in my belly in creating a company that will benefit it all !! lol may be need to tome it down if possible - but if you believe in something so strongly you do tend to voice it a bit don't you ? 

Brad Burton
4Networking

Telephone :

Tony all you are doing is sell sell selling.. All day long. Wrong community for that. Your rep is growing is the wrong way son. Your call.
Tony Miceli
OutBox Thinking

Telephone :

Quote:

I have come across business's that use Barter Card well and busness's that don't. It is a source of credit. Before accepting credit of any kind you have to ensure that you can afford it. Are your margins sufficient for you to be able to cover the charges and still make a profit. Also with Barter Card I would say don't put too much of your turnover through Barter Card, see Stephans post about his seminars. Also as stated above by happy Barter Card users. Stephan, Russel and Brad make sure you can obtain goods and service required by your busuness on Barter Card. The latter point is very important. If you sell your goods/services and take trade pounds as payment and find their is nothing your business needs that you can buy with those trade pounds you will find that too much of your working capital is tied up in Barter card and you will have cash flow problems. Even if their are personal items you can use your excess trade pounds on, their has to be some spare real pounds in the business for the owners to be able to draw on in order to meet their personal comitments.

Neil I am not for or against Barter Card.  I would ask anyone to make sure they understand how they are going to use it and that they can afford it.

They need to def understand how to use it - know how you going to spend it - do not just take others word on how you 'may be ' able to spend it.

Be careful before parting with ANY of your hard earned cash money signing on fees etc ? 

Just like in the cash world DO NOT get treated as if you are doing the company you are placing your business with a favor by placing your business with them you are still a paying customer not a 2nd class citizen! 

and more   important if they try hike the prices up tel them to ............!! and report them and get them struck off . End off.,

Tony Miceli
OutBox Thinking

Telephone :

Quote:

You all need to talk to me on this, I have been with bartercard for 7 months.

For a truthfull assesment call me 07856 752 601

Was fantastic talking to you and without knocking down competitors i will leave it at that - speak to other succesful members of your scheme wont mention names on here!!! ring me 24/7 if you need to i love a challenge !

Have a nice weeeknd.

Paul Clayton
Xquisite Recruitment

Testimonials : 9

You all need to talk to me on this, I have been with bartercard for 7 months.

For a truthfull assesment call me 07856 752 601

Tony Miceli
OutBox Thinking

Telephone :

MagneCap would not be were it is without 'bartering' i think bartering is fantastic- I have bartered through an 'exchange' and direct bartering with suppliers for 5 years.

printing , hotels, restaurants , tyres , car servcing , Mot, filing cabinets, tiles, oven clean , hog roast, new roof for house, total house replastered,  2 HMO houses rewired , fire tests , PAT testing etc hence the reason for me starting BartaClub , i have been a member and now i want BartaClub to solve the problems i had with certain exchange ( i am NOT dissing my 'competitor' any more leave that to google) and just concentrating on what BartaClub has to offer.

I want prefer MORE quality members therefore trading between members will be easier - less transaction fees - allow cash deals / split deals -NO SIGNING on fees and definetely no INFLATED prices

If there is a 'recession' lets Barta out of it with BartaClub , the betta barta!

Maureen Windridge
MW Bookkeeping

Testimonials : 5

I have come across business's that use Barter Card well and busness's that don't. It is a source of credit. Before accepting credit of any kind you have to ensure that you can afford it. Are your margins sufficient for you to be able to cover the charges and still make a profit. Also with Barter Card I would say don't put too much of your turnover through Barter Card, see Stephans post about his seminars. Also as stated above by happy Barter Card users. Stephan, Russel and Brad make sure you can obtain goods and service required by your busuness on Barter Card. The latter point is very important. If you sell your goods/services and take trade pounds as payment and find their is nothing your business needs that you can buy with those trade pounds you will find that too much of your working capital is tied up in Barter card and you will have cash flow problems. Even if their are personal items you can use your excess trade pounds on, their has to be some spare real pounds in the business for the owners to be able to draw on in order to meet their personal comitments.

Neil I am not for or against Barter Card.  I would ask anyone to make sure they understand how they are going to use it and that they can afford it.

Siam Kidd
The Realistic Trader Ltd

Telephone :

Well said Debbie. Completely agree. Barter has literally saved me at least £9000 in the last 6 months. I was a start up business and so I needed a lot of things like biz cards, lots of print etc and it's saved me a fortune.

I personally have had a good experience with Barter, but I do come across people who literally hate it. So I guess it's just horses for courses really...

Debbie Huxton
Life Changer

Telephone :

Testimonials : 69

I was perusing the forum and cam across this post and read with interest. So I thought I would add my little T£'s worth !! I too was skeptical after I first became a member.

I joined Bartercard 2 years ago after being referred by a client of mine who raved about it. I was introduced to Neil Slinn who drove 90 mins to see me. He was professional, Kind and courteous, he explained the system in depth and I became a member. I too was disillusioned with it for the first 3 months and thought I had made a terrible mistake !!! Neil soon stepped in when I aired my views. My trade coordinator was not as pro active as they should be and left the company not long after I joined. Neil soon put this right and made sure I was given all the help and information I needed to make Bartercard work for me. 

I joined 4N using my account and to cut a long story short, Bartercard has turned my business cashflow around. How you may ask? Well clients I took on via Bartercard were 4N members and these have led to cash sales and my biggest clients have come from purchasing my 4N membership via Bartercard. I now have a thriving, evolving, fast expanding business and bartercard plays a part in thicycle. I have used it for weekends away, wine, food, marketing, events, room hire, flowers, candles, stationery, business tools and much much more.

Effective communication is the key to anyone making this work for them and it is exactly that Bartercard will work if you are prepared to work with it.

Happy Bartering xx

Tony Miceli
OutBox Thinking

Telephone :

Am i missing something i have tried to read through all the comments but really dont want to spend all day on here  

- line of credit ? so you used the system ?? are you unhappy with the purchases ? if so what were you unhappy about? 

Also i dont really agree with line of credit i would RATHER prefer the exchange providing MORE business !! may be as a short term solution but surely more business is better long term then teh slack time doesnt apply does it ? 

If a exchange has quality members selling at same price as cash etc no problem ...

Karen Thurley
RED

Testimonials : 31

In my opinion you need help spending the trade pounds and that needs to come from the broker.  Short answer here is that your Bartercard experience is only as good as your broker.

Les Taylor
Offsite Ltd

Telephone :

Testimonials : 13

Typically new  Bartercard members get dissolutioned a few months after joining. I don't know for certain but I suspect that a lot let their memmbership lapse. This is a shame because with a very small effort membership can be very rewarding.  We have been members now for around four years and it has benefitted both the business and the directors personally. We earn around 12% of our anuual turnover on Bartercard, but this is really just infill work that we do during the occasional quiet times in our business when if we were not doing Barter work we would be do didly squat so it really is a no brainer. The benefits have included buying expensive finishing equipment that we would have struggled to raise the cash for,  Office cleaners, answering services,  car servicing, electrical installations, courier services, all our client lunches at a very upmarket local restaurant, conference facilities, legal services - the list goes on and on. Personally we have had holidays, weekend breaks, meals, made to measure suits,  wine and beer,  garden plants, pots and paving and much more. Yes we do have to declare them as benefits in kind - which of course they are, but they have cost our company very little, probably less than 20% of the actual value. We see this as boosting our personal salaries without it being onerous on the cashflow of the business.  We have also met some good suppliers and customers who we now trade with in the 'cash' economy as well.  

My advice to you Jae is stick with it and talk to other more established members who will advice you of where the best deals are to be found.  Finally, there is a legal way (at the moment) of turning Barter trade pounds into cash that you can take out of your business tax free. I won't tell you how publicly on this Forum, but if you call me sometime I will explain.

Regards

Les

Brad Burton
4Networking

Telephone :

We love Bartercard, its a tool that if you know how to use it, massively boosts your biz. Equally it's a tool that can create you probes if you use the tool In wrong manner. What barter card should do is run proper non-salesy seminars how to get the best from BC, with guest and independent speakers who could share how they make it work.
Stefan Thomas
The Networking Retreat

Testimonials : 94

Adam,

A slightly different take from me. I used to run mini seminars. Haven't done for a while as stuff changed for me somewhat but Bartercard worked for me in that respect.

I would sell as many places as I could, make the event profitable. Once I was all sold out, I would give a limited number of places to Bartercard to sell on T£. I had sold all I could on cash at this point and the places were the same price in T£ as in £.

Anyone who booked on Bartercard then was a bonus to me, I hadn't got to them through my own efforts so the Bartercard trae office earnt their fee by finding me new attendees. Also the Bartercard I come was income I wouldn't have otherwise had, as I said I had already sold as much as I could in cash.

As for buying, I have never paid over the top for products or services on Bartercard and in the early days of the business, was able to buy stuff I didn't have the cash for, such as business cards. Was also able to buy personal stuff I certainly couldn't afford in cash at the time, such as Alton Towers trips with my kids and half term breaks all over the country.

You have to think about how it works for you, selling and buying, and it did take a little effort and careful thought to work for me but it did.
Abdul Rashid
Bartercard

Hi Jae,

As the Bartercard ‘sales rep’ who spoke to you on Bartercard I was told of your post late on Friday and my first reaction was to call you and ‘debate’ the content, but I then thought it would not serve any real purpose.

I then thought of issuing a post on the forum, but I was not in the right frame of mind at the time and thought I may put something I would later regret, and affect any possible working relationship we have.

I have no desire or inclination to have any public debate with you Jae, but as the sales rep who spoke to you on Bartercard I feel I should respond to your comments, without prejudice.

Firstly, no one put your hand up your back and forced you to consider joining Bartercard, it was your decision, and while at the time of my presentation you felt that Bartercard was right for you, this was not an impulsive decision as if my memory serves me right, you were then chasing me for a couple of weeks after the presentation to see if your application for membership was to be accepted by Bartercard, and I would think if you were wanting to progress still, then you saw some benefit to Bartercaerd for you.

You and I both know that the word guarantee was used by me in the presentation on the subject of Bartercard bringing you sales, which you certainly need, and as I understand it you have a lot of spare capacity to take on sales.

As for using Bartercard to make personal purchases, yes we did discuss this point and while I did advise you can make such personal purchases on Bartercard, it was you who advised you have an immediate requirement to purchase household appliances and would look to Bartercard to assist in this respect, as you did not have the cash to fund such purchases at present.

With regards to tax, Bartercard is no different to the cash world in that you will have tax implications if you put personal purchases through the business account.

Jae, you say that I talked about the pro’s of Bartercard, but I also hope that on reflection you agree I did give a ‘balanced view’ and said that Bartercard can prove to be an effective business tool for you if used in the right manner, and I also trust you will also agree that we debated this point at length.

Without wishing to get personal Jae, we both know your real issue and problem is with Bartercard compliance department only allowing you a reduced line of credit, and not the normal credit limit that you wanted to get. We also both know why the Bartercard compliance dept did this.

At the end of the day though Jae, it’s a matter for you. In the same way no one forced you to become a member, and if you really feel that you made a mistake in joining, once you have met your financial commitment to Bartercard you can look to leave at any time you want – Just like any of our other members.

However, if on reflection you want Bartercard to work with you and add value to your business, then as you already know from our brief discussion on Tuesday Neil myself and others at Bartercard will assist in this respect.

As I have already stated Jae I have no desire to have a protracted public debate on your Bartercard membership, and its value, however, I am always available on the p0hone to discuss any of the above with either you, other Bartercard members, or those wanting to consider or find our a little more on Bartercard.

Ab

07969 257 259.  

Russell Hewer
Tailored Tours UK

Testimonials : 8

Jae, Your making a great mistake because your assuming many things

I have been a Bartercard member for 7 years and it works for me. You make it work by allowing to do trade at times when you are not busy. The products you purchase can be on your business and you may need a  little tanacity and network with others members of Bartercard to know whats available at the time you need it

For my business expediture on trade in the pass:

Hotel accomodation,extensive car servicing,  printing calling cards, leaflet, flyers, pop up banner, reconditoned diesil engine, flowers, car body work, car spraying, valeting, pop up banner, database entry, training

For my personal expenditure:

Holiday in Malta, Holidays all over the UK, bycycle rack, various resturants throughout the UK, Holiday in Marjorca, French gite in Portier, and many more

I sell about T£20 and buy about K£20 a year. 

Do you think that helps my cashflow?

Regards Russ

Neil Slinn
BBX "The Bank of Spare Capacity"

Testimonials : 5

Hi Jae, presumably you're not going to do the 2 jobs been presented to you...  ill provide these two companies with other suppliers

Stefan Thomas
The Networking Retreat

I use Bartercard to generate income that wouldn't have come in as cash, and then buy goods and services with it. Thus the true cost of the goods and services I buy is only the cost of the trade fees, what I pay in T£ is largely irrelevant.
Stefan Thomas
The Networking Retreat

Bartercard has worked for me (been a member for 4+ years now).

It also works for 4N - we take T£ for purchase of full passports and use our balance to pay for conferences, accommodation and various other things.